Founded 21 years ago, Theirworld has grown to become a leading global children’s charity committed to the best start in life for children and young people by ending the education crisis and unleashing the potential of the next generation.
If you care about issues like climate change, gender equality, inclusion, helping refugees and ensuring the voices of young people are represented at all levels of decision-making, then education is the key to unlocking big change in these areas. If you want to make change happen, join us!
We believe in unlocking big change from a supportive and inclusive environment. This is why, in 2024, we will be continuing our trial of an innovative 4-day-working-week model which sees all employees working Monday to Thursday with the office closed on Fridays.
This is in addition to hybrid working with one day a week based in the office.
Other benefits include:
- Regular in-house training
- Central London location: 5 mins from Liverpool St Station and Shoreditch High Street
- Highly competitive salaries
About the role
As Theirworld embarks on its five-year strategy and grows as an organisation, we are seeking a dynamic and hyper-organised individual to lead a team of dedicated communications professionals and direct all aspects of internal and external communications.
Reporting to the President, the ideal candidate will be versed in a variety of traditional and digital communications tactics. They will be able to deliver results aligned with the ambitious vision set by the Trustees for the organisation and have experience managing complex communications projects involving multiple stakeholders and achieving results. The ideal candidate will be able to develop and execute a communications and marketing strategies with buy-in from internal and stakeholders and develop project timelines and deliver against key milestone.
The Director of Communications will have a strategic understanding of the organisation’s needs, inspire team members, and possess the ability to influence stakeholders to support your vision. You will be skilled at overseeing high quality and engaging communications across a variety of media, including web and social channels.
The ideal candidate will manage a fast-paced, dynamic team and oversee digital communications, media and press, content production, fundraising communications, brand compliance, report production (including the annual report), and executive thought leadership.
The individual will oversee a team of direct reports and various consultants, working on all areas of the programmatic and organisational work, including engagement with key youth, business, civil society, and government stakeholders. The Director of Communications will work across time zones with teams, partners, and colleagues globally, including the UK and United States.
- Develop, oversee and manage a strategic communications vision and plan for the organisation, effectively implementing the plan to a timetable with measurable results.
- Effectively engage and lead a diverse team of staff and consultants to achieve the communications objectives for the organisation.
- Identify, target, and use communications tactics and tools to communicate with priority audiences, including Gen-Z, campaigners, donors, project partners, the business community, international organisations and government officials.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and timely communications articulating the organisation’s vision, mission and activities harnessing a variety of online and offline tactics and channels.
- Work with internal teams to advise on and create bespoke communications plans to meet their needs and reach the organisation’s objectives (including but not limited to projects, campaigns, Global Youth Ambassadors, the Global Business Coalition, fundraising, and executive leadership).
- Define, manage, and support a team to advance key communications objectives, including digital communications, website, digital marketing, social media, content production, video and photo procurement and archiving, marketing and brand awareness, press and media outreach (including the UK media, US media, global media, as well as audience-specific media targeting Gen-Z, pop-culture and philanthropy), partner communications, fundraising, and campaigns.
- Take our followers and supporters on a journey with the organisation, helping external stakeholders to become familiar with the organisation’s work and engage in supporting our vision and mission.
- Engage with and develop a plan for the organisation’s leadership and ambassadors to amplify the vision and mission.
- Oversee a process for high-quality asset production for: day-to-day organizational needs, fundraising, and campaigning (including reports, branded materials and the annual report).
- Ensure our content and communications activities adhere to the highest standards of accuracy and ethics.
- Creatively use new forms of media and communications to reach target audiences.
- Promote organisational marketing, including advertising, brand placement and event participation.
- Oversee the brand so that partners, freelancers and consultants are able to amplify the organization’s mission and vision.
- Identify new channels for communication and media partnerships.
Experience, skills and character
- 10+ years of relevant communications experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team to create positive results.
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Strong news sense and ability to “spot a story.”
- Gravitas to confidently engage with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Determined, enthusiastic and proactive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously with ease.
- Ability to work productively and positively with people at all levels and from all backgrounds.
- Resilient, a self-starter and a team player.
Starting at £90,000 based on qualifications and experience.
Apply for this role
Please submit your CV and a covering email to [email protected] including the name of the role of interest in the subject line of your email.
Only open to applicants with the right to work in the UK.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is successfully filled.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make any reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend any interview, please let us know.