Founded 21 years ago and Chaired by Sarah Brown, Theirworld has grown to become a leading global children’s charity committed to the best start in life for children and young people by ending the education crisis and unleashing the potential of the next generation.
If you care about issues like climate change, gender equality, inclusion, helping refugees and ensuring the voices of young people are represented at all levels of decision-making, then education is the key to unlocking big change in these areas. If you want to make change happen, join us!
We believe in unlocking big change from a supportive and inclusive environment. This is why, in 2023, we are trialling an innovative 4-day-working-week model which sees all employees working Monday to Thursday with the office closed on Fridays.
This is in addition to hybrid working with one day a week based in the office.
Other benefits include:
- Regular in-house training
- Central London location: 5 mins from Liverpool St Station and Shoreditch High Street
- Highly competitive salaries
About the role
Theirworld is seeking an experienced and dynamic Senior Project Coordinator that will elevate the impact of its Global Youth Ambassador (GYA) programme. Over the last two years, the GYA programme has grown to support 2000 young people from over 120 countries to take action for education – connecting the reality young people are facing in their communities to national and global levels, where they can lead the conversations, shape policy, and influence decision makers.
We are seeking a hard-working Senior Project Coordinator that can assist the Head of Youth Engagement in the delivery of this flagship programme and make sure that young people around the world are positioned to advocate for education in their communities and on the global stage.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of four years’ experience in working with young people in a campaigning and advocacy setting. They will be confident working with diverse groups – whether speaking with young people from around the world or approaching world leaders. They will be committed to meaningful youth participation, inclusive practices, and be passionate about securing the right to education for every child. They will have a demonstrable commitment to the vision of the programme and be proactive in working as a team to ensure the objectives are reached.
The Global Youth Ambassador programme
The GYA programme is a network of incredible young campaigners (18-30 years old) from across the world who are working together to campaign for the delivery of Sustainable Development Goal 4 – inclusive and equitable quality education for all – by 2030. The programme focuses on supporting networking and connections between GYAs, providing training and skills development, and facilitating exciting and impactful campaigning opportunities. We currently have a network of 2000 GYAs from more than 120 countries. It is the programme’s aim to ensure young people have the tools, knowledge, opportunity and inspiration to advocate for education.
The role will sit within our Global Youth Ambassador team and will report to our Head of Youth Engagement.
The post will cover a range of youth engagement activities, and work directly with the Head of Youth Engagement to support a diverse set of tasks and activities, with particular attention to:
- Supporting the team’s delivery of the programme’s ambitious five-year strategy, where a network of 10,000 young people has been supported in their journey as a Global Youth Ambassador and are ready to take ongoing action for education.
- Developing and delivering recruitment plans in line with the organisation’s strategic goals to attract more applications and expand the GYA programme.
- Organising, designing and leading the delivery of campaigns and advocacy online and in-person training sessions for GYAs.
- Supporting in the creation and writing of interesting and relevant communications for the GYA network (e.g., newsletters, posts in the online community, etc) that inform and engage GYAs on key topics related to global education and Theirworld’s advocacy goals.
- Working closely with the Campaigns and Advocacy team to create and facilitate opportunity for GYAs to engage in campaign activities (both remote/online, and attendance at high-level events such as the UN General Assembly).
- Working closely with the Head of Youth Engagement to implement a tiered-engagement approach that offers opportunities and activities for GYAs to participate in, and to reach as many members of the network as possible.
- Coordinating the effective delivery and maintenance of the programme’s administrative processes, including review GYA applications and managing the GYA database.
- Supporting members of the team to fulfil their tasks and activities.
- Monitoring, flagging and supporting swift and effective responses to any safeguarding issues affecting our GYAs (in close collaboration with the Head of Youth Engagement and under the overall guidance of our Safeguarding Lead).
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
These responsibilities and functions may be adjusted slightly for the right candidate and over time as needs change.
Experience, skills and character
- At least five years’ experience in youth engagement, ideally related to international development and campaigning.
- Strong passion for ending the global education crisis and knowledge of the different stakeholders and processes involved in this sector.
- Experience of organising and facilitating training for youth. campaigners and supporting young people to engage in campaign actions (including high-level events).
- Excellent project and team management skills and ability to turn a strategic vision and objectives into reality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to internal and external audiences.
- A problem-solving mindset and ability to take initiative and think outside the box.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills with good attention to detail, ability work under pressure and to deadlines, and generally to have a high bar for quality in your own work as well as your colleagues.
- A commitment to Theirworld’s aims and a clear understanding of the contribution that campaigning can make to achieve our mission and how it can best link with other parts of the organisation’s work.
Circa £35,000 based on qualifications and experience.
Apply for this role
Please submit your CV and a covering email to [email protected] including the name of the role of interest in the subject line of your email.
Only open to applicants with the right to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications Friday 22nd September 5.30pm.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make any reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend any interview, please let us know.