Theirworld is a global charity aiming to end the global education crisis and unleash the potential of the next generation. We work to ensure that every child has the best start in life, a safe place to learn, and skills for the future. To achieve this, we are tackling the lack of political will, financial commitment and action that is currently preventing the realisation of inclusive, quality education for all children. We bring together experience and evidence from our research and projects alongside the passion and power of our campaigns and communications to unlock the big changes needed to end the global education crisis.
Over the past two years, we have been in an exciting period of growth and transformation to assemble a world-class team of campaigners, communicators, policy experts, and project managers with phenomenal skills, commitment to our commission, and strong team spirit and creative energy. Since the Covid-19 pandemic hit, we have adapted and adjusted to its immediate impacts on the global education crisis and have made sure that our 2021 plan has a sharp focus on the activities needed to ensure that education is prioritised as part of Covid-19 recovery efforts and in the face of economic and political challenges.
About the role
We are approaching our 20th Anniversary year in 2022 which will allow an exciting opportunity to engage our key donor partners and stakeholders through fundraising, events and donor partnership engagement to lay a strong foundation for decades of sustained growth and impact ahead.
To help us prepare for the 20th anniversary year and maximise our donor partnership engagement, we are looking to hire a Head of Fundraising and Events. We are looking for a strong, experienced leader with a demonstrated track record of developing and implementing highly effective and focused donor partnership engagement and fundraising activities to help us strengthen current donor partnerships and build new partnerships with small and large donors, including foundations and individual philanthropists.
The Head of Fundraising and Events will need to quickly understand the comprehensive overview of a rapidly growing charity with a clear vision and mission. The successful candidate will need to put into place the building blocks for a fundraising strategy, harness our current network of contacts and programmes underway, build systems and add structures to take donor engagement to the next level.
The Head of Fundraising and Events will report to the executive leadership of Theirworld and collaborate directly with the Head of Media and Partnerships and other programmatic, digital and campaign teams. The role will be based in our London office, with occasional domestic and international travel as required, and will be home-based until late summer/autumn 2021. For the right candidate, a part-time option (e.g. min 3-4 days a week) could be considered.
Because it is our 20th Anniversary year, the position may suit a consultant who is seeking a 15-18-month consultancy (e.g. the lead up to and execution of the 20th anniversary fundraising and events) or someone who wants to stay with the charity for the longer term. We are open to considering both consultancies and full-time staff position configurations for this role. Given the dual tasks associated with this role, we would value someone with strong events experience who is able to also successfully undertake fundraising as well as an experienced fundraiser with the ability to oversee event management.
- Developing a fundraising and event plan of action which aligns with our development strategy and takes full advantage of the 20th anniversary opportunity
- Put systems in place to track and monitor donor partnership engagement of current and prospective partners (foundations, philanthropists, general supporters), including stewardship processes
- Expand, diversity and deepen Theirworld’s supporter base, with specific emphasis on:
Cultivating individual philanthropists to make multi-year commitments to Theirworld
Marshalling trust and foundation support for Theirworld and both track and support Theirworld staff and consultants producing grant proposals and reports
Individual small and recurring donors via online donations with the engagement of our digital team and implementation
- Engage with our U.S.-based organisation to develop and execute a Donor-Advised Fund strategy
- Assess and execute opportunities to engage with Theirworld boards and VIP supporters
- Liaise with key donor partners and funders to ensure strong, mutually beneficial engagement and positive experiences.
- Balance the needs of “high priority, high engagement” partners, foundations, mid-size individual donors with other strategic and new partners
- Map out and support the execution of donor partnership engagement plans with major partners throughout the year
- Understand, maintain and operate from a central set of records with the information, deadlines, requirements, updates and engagement with various partners
- Proactively work to service and build existing and new relationships
- Work with the communications and media team to maintain information about the donor partnerships on the website and promoting donor partnerships in the media
- Organise periodic mailings, communications and engagements with our partners in written, digital and other formats and providing updates on our work
- Identify opportunities to engage staff, employees and networks of major partners
- Managing fundraising challenges (e.g. marathons, fun runs, walks) and similar activities for supporters
- Support the development, planning and execution of all donor partnership events for the 20th anniversary year – both large and small
- Manage and support fundraising activities and events
- Identify opportunities for engagements of key personnel at our partner organisations in our events and activities
- Review potential vendors and negotiate value for money
- Manage a seamless event run of show
- Oversee logistics for event production
- Work collaboratively and productively with staff, volunteers, and vendors
- Oversee logistics of event production
- Ensure VIPs, including board members, event committee members, etc. have a positive experience with event development and execution and are engaged in effective ways to expand outreach and achieve organisational goals
These responsibilities and functions may be adjusted slightly for the right candidate and over time as needs change. Short-term staff and/or consultants may be able to support in some specific instances (e.g. a large event), budgets permitting.
Experience, skills and character
You should have:
- 7-10+ years of experience working in donor partnerships, events and/or fundraising
- A track record of successful fundraising, expanding the size and diversity of financial gifts
- A well-organised “people person” with excellent engagement and communication skills
- Ability to execute projects in teams by clearly articulating needs, goals, responsibilites and providing support as needed
- Demonstrable interest in promoting social justice to disadvantaged groups
- Attention to detail and nuance, and the ability to make connections between projects and stakeholders
- Strong diplomacy skills and ability to engage productively with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to effectively engage VIPs in Theirworld’s vision and mission
- Ability to use a development database to track fundraising and contacts (e.g. Salesforce, Action Kit, or similar database applications)
- Efficient, quick-thinking, thorough and detailed-oriented
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write well, with proper grammar and spelling in both formal and informal contexts
- Good negotiation skills
- Determined, enthusiastic and proactive ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work alongside senior and junior teammates at all levels and from all backgrounds
- Resilient, a self-starter and a team player
Starting at £50,000 + based on qualifications and experience.
Apply for this role
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the title of the position in the subject line.
Deadline for applications – Tuesday 20th July 2021.