Theirworld is a global charity aiming to end the global education crisis and unleash the potential of the next generation. We work to ensure that every child has the best start in life, a safe place to learn, and skills for the future. To achieve this, we are tackling the lack of political will, financial commitment and action that is currently preventing the realisation of inclusive, quality education for all children. We bring together experience and evidence from our research and projects alongside the passion and power of our campaigns and communications to unlock the big changes needed to end the global education crisis.
Over the past two years, we have been in an exciting period of growth and transformation to assemble a world-class team of campaigners, communicators, policy experts, and project managers with phenomenal skills, commitment to our commission, and strong team spirit and creative energy. Since the Covid-19 pandemic hit, we have adapted and adjusted to its immediate impacts on the global education crisis and have made sure that our 2021 plan has a sharp focus on the activities needed to ensure that education is prioritised as part of Covid-19 recovery efforts and in the face of economic and political challenges.
About the role
To help us deliver our 2021 plan and beyond, we are looking to hire a Senior Manager, Advocacy and Campaigns. We are looking for a strong, experienced leader with a demonstrated track record of developing and implementing highly effective and focused campaigns to influence political leaders and policymakers and a good understanding of the core policy issues and stakeholders involved in global education.
The position will report to the Director of Policy, Advocacy and Programs. You will work closely with our policy and advocacy managers (e.g. education financing, early childhood education) and our communications team, as well as collaborating closely with our Global Youth Ambassadors team and Global Business Coalition for Education team. The role will be based in our London office, with occasional domestic and international travel as required, and will be home-based until late summer/autumn 2021.
- Undertake effective power-mapping and landscape analyses to identify and assess the best opportunities and approaches to effectively engage and influence key decision-makers in the current political context and keep this regularly updated.
- Lead small internal project teams to develop clear and focused advocacy and campaign strategies and plans to achieve Theirworld’s advocacy goals for 2021 and thereafter (linked to best start, safe place to learn and skills for the future).
- Collaborate with our Global Youth Ambassadors and Global Business Coalition for Education teams to ensure the role of business and youth champions is effectively integrated into advocacy and campaign strategies.
- Ensure that advocacy and campaign strategies and plans have clear milestones and success metrics and lead on establishing effective internal processes to assess the impact being made and correct activities as needed and evaluate and summarise the overall impact achieved at the end of a campaign.
- Foster and maintain a strong global network with key influencers (e.g. governments, UN and multilateral organisations, businesses, media, NGOs and Foundations).
- Liaise effectively with the front offices of major international organisations and government ministries.
Collaborate with our communications team on creative content development and campaign delivery to:
- Identify, develop, and execute campaigns with creative communications elements which punch above the fray to capture the imagination and enthusiasm of leaders at local, national, and global levels.
- Work across disciplines of policy, advocacy and communications, including serving as a focal point for managing relationships with third party partners advising on communications, brand and campaigns
- Lead campaigns from end-to-end – i.e. research to plans to execution to monitoring impact.
- Develop and lead on the delivery of effective approaches to engage with policymakers on our issues through creative, strategic campaigns.
- Work with policy and advocacy managers and the communications team to draft and produce campaign messages, materials and assets (including videos, graphics and webpages).
- Develop compelling and stand-out campaign narratives and identify and secure strong storytelling opportunities and channels to effectively disseminate and communicate campaign messages and assets.
- Support our Global Youth Ambassadors and Global Business Coalition for Education members to bechampions and spokespeople for the campaign.
- Lead on campaign monitoring, evaluation and learning and providing campaign-related data/analytics to support the development of organisational impact reports.
Experience, skills and character
You should have:
- At least 5-7 years experience in managing campaigns and advocacy - ideally with a leading consultancy/agency and/or non-profit advocacy organization.
- Exceptional track-record of developing and delivering creative, pragmatic, and effective campaign and advocacy plans, with previous experience in the global education or another development sector highly desirable. This should cover experience of both insider high-level advocacy and public-facing campaigns.
- Strong strategic thinking and campaign planning skills, including the ability to conduct effective power-mapping and landscape analysis, identify audiences, targets and effective tactics and approaches.
- Ability to lead project teams under pressure and to tight deadlines, while staying organised and focused to get campaigns delivered effectively.
- Direct relevant experience in education (or international development) and a strong passion and interest in these issues.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Experience with youth advocacy and engagement and engaging business champions in campaigns would be a strong plus.
- A collaborative, hands-on attitude and team player approach.
- A problem-solving mindset and ability to take initiative and think outside the box.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills with good attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, and generally to have a high bar for quality in your own work as well as your colleagues.
- A commitment to Theirworld’s aims and a clear understanding of the contribution that campaigning can make to achieve our mission and how it can best link with other parts of the organisation’s work.
Starting at £42,000+ based on experience and qualifications
Apply for this role
Please email your CV and a covering email including the name of the role of interest in the subject line of your email to [email protected]
Initial deadline for applications is 8th July 2021, but applications will remain open until the post is filled.